We strive to enrich the quality of journalism education and student journalism in Kansas by:
• Supporting and promoting the First Amendment.
• Supporting and promoting high academic and professional standards in collegiate media.
• Supporting students working in and for student media.
• Supporting collegiate media advisers.
• Supporting administrators and others at academic institutions in understanding and appreciating collegiate media through encouragement, education, and professional interactions.
• Supporting outreach efforts in the academic and professional communities.
The 2018 Spring conference will be April 8-9 at the Drury Plaza Hotel
Please see the attached documents in preparation for the Sept. 23 KCM retreat at Hutchinson Community College. Here you will find our constitution, a tentative agenda, and minutes from the April conference in Wichita.
Please RSVP by this Friday (9/15) at 5:00 pm…
It’s that time of year…the KCM Fall Retreat! You’re receiving this because you’re listed on the KCM website as a student publication adviser. If you’re no longer serving in that role, please let me know (and who has taken your place).
FALL RETREAT DETAILS:
Date: Saturday, Sept. 23
Time: 9:00 a.m. for the officer’s meeting, 10:00 a.m. for the entire KCM group
Hutchinson Community College
Shears Technology Center
Justice Theatre, Room 210
1300 N. Plum
Hutchinson, KS 67501
Details: The KCM officers will meet at 9:00 a.m. in Shears Technology Center, Room 205. The KCM group will gather at 10:00 a.m. for introductions, break out into committees, and then start the business meeting. If you have agenda items, please send them to Stacy Sparks.
Hotel: I’ve reserved a block of 10 rooms at the Comfort Inn & Suites here in town for Friday, Sept. 22. They have king suites or double rooms available for the price of $110 + tax. Call them prior to Sept. 8 to make your reservation at 620-669-2500 and mention the KCM room block to get that pricing.
RSVP: Please reply to Amber Brawner only, email email@example.com, so I can get a head count for refreshments and lunch.
It’s a busy time of the year but it takes a lot of people to make this conference happen for our students. Can’t wait to see everyone here in Hutch!
The 2017 KCM Spring Conferenced and Journalism Awards Banquet drew 140 journalism faculty and students from 16 colleges to Wichita, Kansas on April 9 – 10, 2017. Congratulations to those who won individual awards. The top awards this year were awarded to the following college publications and individuals:
Journalist of the Year Competition
2-Year: Loribeth Reynolds, Hutchinson Community College
- 4-Year Chance Swaim, Wichita State University
- 4-Year Private Newspaper: The Vantage, Newman University
- 4-Year Public Newspaper: The Daily Kansan, University of Kansas
- 2-Year Newspaper: The Campus Ledger, Johnson County Community College
- Magazine: Breakaway, Garden City CC
- Yearbook: The Kanza, Pittsburg State University
- Online Site: The Kansan, University of Kansas
Jackie Engel Award
Congratulations to Bill Gasper, Hays High School, who received this year’s Jackie Engel Award for Top High School Journalism Adviser.
Conference Program: download a copy of the conference program: KCM_Program_2017