2016 NOMINATION INFORMATION
Sponsored by Kansas Collegiate Media, the Jackie Engel award is given to top Kansas high school teachers who have demonstrated excellence in publications advising. Nominations of any Kansas Scholastic Press Association advisers are welcome from advisers themselves, or from students, colleagues or administrators. The award comes with recognition at the Kansas Collegiate Media convention in April as well as the Kansas Scholastic Press Association state convention in May, a plaque and $250.
As part of the nomination, please provide the following:
- Nominee’s Name and Title
- Number of years in working relationship with nominee
The nominee should meet the following five criteria:
- At least 5 years advising experience. (NOTE: This is a change from the previous 10-year requirement.)
- Hold current membership in KSPA.
- Support First Amendment rights through teaching of the law and allowing student leadership and free expression.
- Regularly participate in local, state and national events (workshop or convention participation/presentation/judging etc.).
- Make significant contributions to scholastic journalism.
Note: Please attach support materials, such as the candidate’s resume and copies of the publication advised. Also, submit a minimum of three letters of support from students or former students, colleagues, a publication representative, a parent, members of the professional press, or an administrator.
Please send completed nomination to: Mike Swan, Engel Award Coordinator, Butler Community College 901 S. Haverhill Rd.,El Dorado, KS 67042.
For questions, call Mike Swan at 316-322-3280 or the KSPA office at (785) 864-0605
Entries must be postmarked by March 1, 2016